NC Innovations is the common name for the Medicaid 1915(c) Waiver for people living with intellectual and developmental disabilities who are eligible to live in Intermediate Care Facilities. NC Innovations gives you services and supports to help you live as independently in the community instead of in an institution or group home. The waiver gives you a role in planning and selecting how to receive and maintain community-based services for yourself.
NC Innovations funds cannot currently cover everyone needing these services. The number of Innovations participants for our eight counties is limited by available funding from the State of North Carolina and the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services. If you are eligible for Innovations services but can’t get a waiver slot, you are put on a waiting list called the Registry of Unmet Needs.
To be part of North Carolina’s Innovations Waiver, you must:
- Meet the requirements to live in an Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID)
- Already live in an ICF-IID or be at risk of being placed in an ICF-IID
- Be able to stay safe, healthy, and well in the community while using NC Innovations Waiver services
- Need and use NC Innovations services listed in your person-centered plan at least once a month
- Want to use NC Innovations instead of living in an ICF-IID
How to Apply
If you are eligible, we can help you get NC Innovations services
There are only a certain number of NC Innovations Waiver slots. If no slots are available, you are put on the Registry of Unmet Needs. To find out more about Innovations, or to see if you are eligible, contact your Care Coordinator or call Partners Health Management at 1-877-864-1454.
NC Innovations Waiver Services
NC Innovations provides many different services that you can use based on your individualized support plan (ISP).
The NC Innovations Waiver amendment has been approved by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and will be implemented on November 1, 2016.